Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Recipe: Honey Glazed Tofu and Green Beans with Lime Coconut Rice

There is a world of food out there. I love trying new foods and making new recipes. If you never try anything new you could miss out on something truly fantastic. I have never really been part of the 'meat and potatoes' crowd. If you asked my mom, I bet she'd tell you about all of the wierd foods I tried to get her to purchase at the grocery store when I was growing up (like pickled pigs feet, which she never bought and cow tongue, which she did buy). Luckily for my parents, my brothers and I were not really picky eaters. Although I still truly loathe onions. Every person has different tastes, which is understandable, especially since we all have a different number of tastebuds. But many don't realize that even if you dislike a food item, it can be cooked in such a way where you can enjoy it. For example, I will eat onions sometimes when they're in Indian food or salsa. This brings me to a food that people seem to be particularly wary of: tofu. Since becoming a vegetarian, I have been eating more of it (twice this week, actually). Firm tofu is quite easy to work with and has a much nicer texture than soft tofu (which I often think resembles snot or runny, undercooked scrambled eggs- lovely, visual, eh?). Because tofu is like a sponge it absorbs flavors well, especially when it has been marinated.

So today's recipe will feature tofu! This is a really easy and versatile recipe that I whip up in only half an hour after work that takes minimal prep time (although the tofu must marinate).

Cube the tofu and marinate it in half of the prepared marinade for 1-2 hours; refrigerate. You can marinate it the night before, if you choose, or before heading out for work in the morning so it's ready to go when you get home. My husband usually marinates it for me since he gets home several hours before I do. Reserve the remaining half of the marinade for later when you begin to prepare dinner.

Before making the stir fry, prepare the rice (so that it will be done at the same time you finish the stir fry). Add all of the ingredients to a pot or rice cooker; stir and cook as you would normally cook rice.


Add a tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil to a large skillet and fry the tofu, on medium to high heat, until it begins to look golden brown or slightly crisp/carmelized.


Add the steamed vegetables and the remaining sauce/marinade. Saute until the liquid is absorbed. [I just used steamed green beans for this recipe. But you could use steamed broccoli or asparagus. Or sliced fresh bell peppers, which do not need steaming. Start steaming the veggies about the time you fry the tofu.]


Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve over the rice.


Honey Glazed Tofu and Vegetables
1 (14 oz) package of Firm tofu, drained and cubed
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup lime juice
5 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 pound fresh green beans (steamed)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
oil for frying

Lime Coconut Rice
2 cups uncooked white rice (or Thai jasmine rice)
2 cups lite coconut milk
1 3/4 to 2 cups water
2 teaspoons grated lime rind
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
pinch of salt
a pinch or two of brown sugar
slivered almonds (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment