Thursday, October 6, 2011

And so we begin!

Where would we be without food? Food binds people together. It provides sustenance, helps us grow, and keeps us functioning throughout the day. It is used as guidelines, or restrictions, for many religions. It keeps us busy (from planting fields to spending the time to make bread from scratch). But, by and large, food makes us happy and content!

I have always been a great lover (and consumer) of food. I can remember, from a very young age, ‘helping’ my mother cook dinner or bake cookies. My mother was very patient, teaching me cooking skills, which I have honed over the years. My grandmother was a hurricane in the kitchen. I greatly anticipated Easter dinner at my grandparent’s house, which exuded such wonderful aromas from a mega multicourse meal my grandmother had made. You could easily (and I did) spend hours eating whenever we visited.

Simply put- I love cooking, baking, and eating! But food also means many things to me. Food is culture. It is history. Food is a scientific mish mash of ingredients that magically produces a desired (or sometimes, unwanted) effect. It’s a means of socialization. Food can define who we are (for example, I am a vegetarian).

In this blog, you will find my many musings on food, including, but not limited to: recipes, tips, restaurant reviews, food and travel, anthropology of food, culture, history of food, and local food related topics.

So let’s dig in!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh! This is so exciting, I can't wait to look at pictures of all the food you make, and then get hungry, and then make them myself and then feel full and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete