Monday, October 10, 2011

Recipe: Corn Cheddar Chowder

To me, the beginning of fall means it’s the beginning of soup season. And, man, do I love a good, hearty soup! So this past weekend I decided to whip out the pot and make a warming and very filling chowder. What is particularly nice about this soup is that it is, first and foremost, very easy but also that it doesn’t make a lot of dishes. This chowder is very quick to make, with little prep time, which makes it an ideal weeknight dinner. It’s also very easy to double or triple, which I recommend if you plan to make this for more than two people as it only makes around 4-5 good sized bowls of tasty goodness. I usually accompany soups with sandwiches, rustic breads, or garlic bread. For this chowder, I made a pan of homemade cornbread since the soup has a hint of Southwestern flair.

In a medium sized pot, lightly brown the garlic in the butter. Add the bay leaves, cumin, sage, and parsley and stir the spices for a minute or so.



Add the wine, broth, potatoes, corn, green chilies, and the chipotle pepper.


 Bring it to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.



In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk the milk and flour together until all of the lumps are gone. Pour the milk mixture into the soup; cook for 5 minutes or until the soup thickens. Remove the soup from the heat. Stir in the cheddar until it melts.

And serve!



Corn Cheddar Chowder
sliver of butter
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
¼ teaspoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried parsley
¼ cup dry white wine
2-2 ½ cups no sodium (or low sodium) vegetable broth
2-3 potatoes, diced
1 ½ cups frozen corn
1 dried chipotle pepper
1 (4oz.) can chopped green chilies, drained
1 ½ cups reduced fat milk (but not fat free or skim)
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups shredded cheddar



Useful cooking notes for this recipe:
Trader Joes sells 16 oz. bags of roasted frozen corn, which I bought several bags of just to put in soups this season. I used the roasted corn for this batch of soup and it was phenomenal! Dried chipotle peppers are not spicy. But what they do add is a smoky flavor to the broth. Adding crumbled bacon (or crumbled ‘fakin,’ i.e. fake bacon/vegetarian soy protein bacon stuff) also adds additional smokiness.

2 comments:

  1. Made this last night, it was delicious. Had to make a couple of modifications due to lack of ingredients: Used sweet potatoes instead of regular (this worked out well). Didn't have the sage, chipotle pepper or green chilies, so threw in some fresh spicy-ish pepper of some kind and a dash of curry. Also, didn't have a dry wine so I used Vermouth. Oh, and we only had Chicken Broth in the house. So maybe I didn't actually make "this" but I did use it as inspiration for my own take on Cheddar Corn Chowder. I look forward to trying this again with the proper ingredients because even with my random substitutions it was still very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe! Your modifications also sound pretty good. I'll have to try it with the sweet potatoes sometime.

    ReplyDelete