Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wedding Cake

Happily ever after- Jon & Karen
My friends Jon and Karen just got married! They met as grad students in the philosophy department at Johns Hopkins University, were married in the President's Garden on the school's campus, and had a simple potluck-style reception at the house where he had been living this past Friday.


Every wedding should be so simple- no fuss or mayhem, no months of planning- just everyone together for a big party with plenty of food and drink to celebrate the happy couple.

 
Because I wasn't sure if they had anyone lined up for it, I offered to make their wedding cake for the party. Mind you, I have never made a wedding cake before, but I thought it would be a fun. I asked them what they had in mind for a cake and they said chocolate with fruit. Challenge accepted!


I made a three layer chocolate cake with marshmallow cream cheese filling and chocolate buttercream frosting with mixed berries (raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries) on top. I also made matching cupcakes and a handmade cake topper which I made in the form of a banner.  The cake was rich, but soft and very chocolatey. The marshmallow filling added a unique contrast to all of the chocolate.

Marshmallow Cream Cheese Filling
8 oz. softened cream cheese
8 oz. marshmallow fluff/marshmallow crème
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and beat with a mixer until it is well blended and of spreading consistency. Spread the mixture between cake layers or pipe it into cupcakes. This recipe is easy to double. Remember that it must be refrigerated due to the cream cheese.

~~~~~~~~
 
I'm so happy to have been able to celebrate my friends wedding with them and to have been able to make their wedding cake. Alas, they will be moving out of the country soon! Our time was fun and who knows, maybe we'll visit them in Taiwan!
 
Vi auguro cent’anni di felicità insieme!
(I wish you a hundred years of happiness together!)


1 comment:

  1. It looks just like you'd described it. I'm happy that those of us at the office were able to be guinea pigs for your flavor combos because they were awesome.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete