Friday, September 28, 2012

8 Meatless Dinner Ideas



Stir fry with broccoli, bean spouts, tofu, and red and yellow bell peppers
When the topic of food comes up, I often get a hodge podge of questions regarding being a vegetarian from meat eaters regarding what type of meal I can possibly eat that would be interesting and meatless. It's shocking, I know, but a good meatless meal can be accomplished. I don't say this to be derisive or bitter toward anyone in particular nor would I try to coerce someone to be a vegetarian, but half the time I'm questioned about my food choice in a rude manner (which I feel must be some sort of defense mechanism on the part of the questioner). I can understand the curiosity though- if you are used to doing things a certain way, such as eating meat with every meal, then not having it can be bizarre and feel foreign. I, myself, grew up eating meat at every meal.
 
Pasta alfredo with broccoli, tomatoes and asparagus
My husband and I only became vegetarians a few years ago. But, to be honest, the switch was quite easy. I can't tell you why exactly. It could be a combination of our love of a wide variety of foods from around the world, that we're not picky regarding most fruits and vegetables, our willingness to try new things, or that I can cook anything that I put my mind to. But I can assure you, we have not led a dull life, tastebud-wise, since our switch. As far as I can tell, I haven't starved to death from a lack of meat. And honestly, I'm no pixie.
 
Tortilla soup with cornbread
There are meals that are quick to make, filling, and really quite flavorful and droolworthy that happen to be meat-free.
 
Enchilada Casserole
So, for this entry, I decided to take pictures of all of the awesome meals I made this past week, for dinner, to prove that meatless meals can happen and leave you quite full and wishing that you didn't gorge yourself to the point that you can hardly move, which I am both sad and happy to say, occurs quite frequently with me.
 
Stuffed bell peppers, filled with rice, fresh mint, golden raisins,
sun-dried tomatoes, feta, and other seasonings
Pasta sauted with herbs, Roma tomatoes, Swiss chard, and
beans served with garlic bread
Kung pao tofu with an eggroll
Veggie sandwich consisting of zucchini sauted in herbs with
tomato, cheddar, sprouts and pesto mayo


No comments:

Post a Comment