Monday, February 27, 2012

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams


Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
by Jeni Britton Bauer
I’ve devoured ice cream from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, at the North Market, long before it became a popular ice cream chain in Columbus, Ohio. Jeni’s offers some of the most unique, creative, and flavorful ice creams and sorbets I’ve ever had. Their establishment uses, mostly, local and seasonal Ohio products to help make their ice creams as well as the highest in quality of ingredients from around the globe. Their ice cream flavors change seasonally and with each new season comes a new world of flavors and interesting creations. (Seriously, Jeni makes ice creams with just about any ingredient- Gouda, basil, celery, goat cheese, etc.) My personal favorites include: lime cardamom, Riesling poached pear, wild berry lavender, and the honey pistachio ice cream sandwich (which borders on my idea of what heaven must be like). The downside to eating at Jeni’s (and mind you, this is the only problem) is that it is quite expensive- a pint will run you $12-$14 and a scoop of ice cream is also pretty darn pricy (and the scoops are rather small). Regardless of the prices, however, I still stop pop into Jeni’s shops, whenever I’m in town, to try the latest flavors and get a scoop or two of ice cream- it is a special treat after all- and sampling each flavor is totally free. Don’t let the price deter you from ever trying Jeni’s ice creams, it is well worth the try.

Lime cardamom frozen yogurt

Because of the prices, I only ate at Jeni’s occasionally while I lived in Columbus (for special occasions or random, occasional whims). However, now that I live in Baltimore, it gets a bit tough when I get in an ‘I want artisanal ice cream’ mood, and, sadly, there is nothing in Baltimore that satiates that desire as perfectly as Jeni’s. I am pleased to say that I am now armed with a new cookbook (a gift from my in-laws for Christmas), Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams at Home, so I can now make Jeni Britton Bauer’s wonderful concoctions in my own kitchen! So how do the recipes fare? I made two of her recipes this weekend and demolished them with friends while playing board games!

Lime Cardamom Frozen Yogurt
This is my absolute favorite flavor at Jeni’s and whenever it was in season, this was my frozen yogurt of choice. So, naturally, this flavor was number one on my list of ice creams to make! The results were relatively positive. There was a very lime-y presence (which I love) but it was slightly too much lime, giving the mixture a somewhat bitter element. Because the lime was a little overwhelming, the cardamom flavor was a bit overpowered. You can definitely taste and feel the texture of the yogurt used, which added a nice touch. I will definitely be making this again this summer when it’s a million degrees in Baltimore, but with a few tweaks-  more cardamom, more sugar, and a little less lime.

Chamomile Chardonnay ice cream

Chamomile Chardonnay Ice Cream
I have not had this flavor at Jeni’s but the recipe looked simple (and tasty) so I just had to give this one a try. The flavor came out remarkably well. Strangely, the Chardonnay was the first flavor that hits you before the chamomile starts working its way to your taste buds. The texture was smooth and creamy. I think next time I will use a little less chamomile, but all in all, this was a pretty good ice cream.

If/when I make these again, I will double the recipes (Each recipe only makes a quart.) If you have an ice cream maker, and are looking for good (and interesting) recipes, definitely give this book a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment