Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Cookies



Top to bottom: Mocha Logs, Almond Cookies, and Orange Chocolate Chip
Since I was all by my lonesome this weekend (Nick left for Ohio on Saturday), I made good use of my time, by finishing my Christmas shopping and watching movies, back to back, while making a massive amount of Christmas cookies.

When it starts getting cold out, all I want to do is bake, which is not something I have the luxury of doing in the summer when it is 100+ degrees in my 3rd floor apartment. However, I do love to bake and when it begins to get cooler outside, my kitchen heats up with breads, cakes, cookies, rolls and the like, popping out of my oven whenever I feel like making something (which is pretty darn often).

My grandmother passed away a few years ago. She was an excellent cook and, luckily, I have copies of her recipes. I spent a portion of my weekend making her orange chocolate chip and mocha log cookie recipes, while reminiscing about sitting in her kitchen, on numerous occasions, when I was growing up, devouring cookie after cookie, laughing and being merry with my Italian relatives. Eating and food was what grandma loved and it showed in the enormous feasts she prepared when we visited.

Many people are under the impression that baking is very complicated. I won’t lie- it can be. But the average person isn’t going to go and make a chocolate gateau or spend all day making rustic Italian bread. There are certain baking rules that must be followed, of course, but baking can be easy, relaxing, somewhat meditative, and rewarding. My advice: If you are not a baker but suddenly feel inspired to bake a little something, don’t choose an overly complex recipe. Read through the recipe carefully and note the ingredients and directions. I think people get turned off to baking because they choose to make something too difficult for their skill level then become frustrated and disappointed in the results. Baking should be fun not a chore.

Ok, I know it's not cookies, but here is my origami forest!

No comments:

Post a Comment