Monday, November 28, 2011

Eggs, Glorious Eggs!


Behold- the egg!
Eggs are one of my ideal foods. I eat them in just about everything and in any form possible (except raw- yuck). I like hard boiled eggs chopped in salads, whole, sprinkled with salt and pepper, as a snack, or halved and dropped into a bowl of ramen noodles. I use them in custards and baked goods. I like them scrambled, over easy, sunny side up, and poached. I grew up with my dad, periodically, poaching eggs in pasta sauce to go with spaghetti, which I make sometimes as well. (I highly recommend it!)


Parmesan and portobello omelet

Humans have been eating eggs for eons (or like my mom would say, since “God was a boy”). It’s a food that is easily scavenged and healthy (or unhealthy given its bad rep surrounding all of the cholesterol hoopla). Due to the domestication of chickens, ostriches, ducks, and the like, eggs are more readily available, and of course, extra easy to come by in modern times because of grocery stores and farmer’s markets (which is where I usually pick them up- gotta love local family farms!). Eggs are a symbol of fertility and rebirth. They are depicted in art (like Fabergè eggs), decorated for Easter, pickled, and are a staple at picnics and parties (i.e. deviled eggs).

Smoked gouda omelet on an English muffin

Omelets are my preferred egg style. They only take a minute or two to make and the cleanup is easy. I, usually, either: (1) turn my omelet into a sandwich, or (2) stuff the heck out of it. When I was little, my parents made tacos with thinly made omelets instead of using hard or soft tortillas. They are probably one of most versatile ingredients out there that can be eaten on its own or in savory or dessert dishes alike.

Eggs don’t have to be boring. Sure, they are good with just salt and pepper, cooked in a little bit of butter. But why not add more to spruce them up a bit if you’re bored of the same old thing?

Basil and garlic omelet stuffed with Old Bay seasoned hash browns, white cheddar, and wilted spinach

No comments:

Post a Comment